How to become an insurance agent?
Selling insurance is rewarding, has an excellent growth prospect, and a great opportunity to earn unlimited income. Even if you’re already working and still want to expand your income, becoming an agent is the best choice you can opt for.
Before you explore further on how to become an agent, it’s crucial to understand the insurance agent’s chief tasks. An insurance agent is associated with an insurance company and assists people to choose and buy the right insurance products based on their needs.
Let’s go straight to the process towards earning a license and kick-starting your insurance career.
Are you satisfying these eligibility criteria?
- As per IRDAI guidelines, any individual who wants to become an agent should have a bachelor’s degree. Anyhow, many companies think about high school graduate with outstanding talent and sales ability to become an agent. Therefore, 12th passed out is the least requirement.
- The documents required include proof of address, proof of identity, required exam certificates, PAN card copy, and photos in the prescribed format.
- A license is required to sell insurance. To obtain it, one has to undergo certain training. The training duration depends on the type of insurance an individual entails. Also, the duration depends on whether the individual is applying for a new license or renewal of a license.
How to reach out to insurance companies?
Try out any of these ways.
What are the steps involved in the recruitment process?
- Choose your preferred insurance company and go to the nearest insurance office of that company. Discuss with the manager and gain details about the training program, recruitment process, earning potential and related queries.
- Check out your chosen company’s website and apply online. Ensure that you’re getting acknowledged.
- Send mail to the recruitment team of your chosen company and they will connect you shortly. Also, you can try calling them. Their email ID and contact number must be available on the company website.
Presently, most reputed insurance companies have recruitment programs starting from the screening interview, followed by in-house training, and IRDAI exam.
The screening interview will be a simple interaction to know more about you and the basic knowledge you have in the insurance field. The second step involves training sessions in which the sales process, targets, and other responsibilities will be explained to you. There will be an examination held after your training, which is prescribed the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). Candidates can prefer taking the exam online or offline. Once you clear this exam, you can get your license and become an agent.